Friday 30 October 2009

Deserters residency

DESERTERS

I was artist in residence at a deserted comunity centre in Nunhead. The centre was abandoned due to an outbreak of legionaires disease. Many items were left behind and I used these as well as some built interventions to create 'Deserters' for Nunhead Arts Week


DESERTERS Nunhead Community Centre
56 Nunhead Lane SE15 - Tel: 07906 206 166
Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th 12-6pm

Artist Sarah Sparkes responds to the absence of community at the Nunhead community Centre.

I hope you can join us at Nunhead Community Centre this coming weekend. I've been artist in residence there for the past week and have been making work on site along with several other artists whom I've invited to collaborate with me on the project.
The centre was closed down because of an alleged contamination with legionnaires' disease and there is a feeling of sudden abandonment in the building, with the ghosts of the old community still very much in residence. The work, made on site, is a direct response to this feeling and much of it incorporates objects found at the abandoned centre.


more about the residency here:

http://www.surgery123.org/

No comments: